This episode is all about level crossing safety. Level crossings are a simple situation, repeated throughout the world, that illustrate a number of important safety concepts. Through accidents such as Hixon, Lockington, Kerang, Langenweddingen and Fox River Grove we can learn lessons about human factors, dependability trade-offs, safety management interfaces and risk prioritisation.
The Introduction to System Safety course in Canberra, 7-11 April 2014. Let me know via the feedback link above if you’re coming along.
- The study of train drivers and heavy vehicle drivers mentioned in the episode
- The Hixon accident report [pdf]
- The Lockington accident report [pdf]
- The Kerang rail safety investigation report [pdf]
- The Fox River Grove Highway/RailRoad Accident Report [pdf]